Monday, September 3, 2007

The Mom Mobile at 25




So, back in July after going through a couple of months of cramming the three kids either in the backseat of our Rodeo, or better yet, our volvo s40 (which would fall in the category of compact sedan) we decided it was time to make the big (dreaded) leap to a minivan. We sold both of our cars and bought a Honda Odyssey for the family and a little Zuma scooter for Dave to commute to school on. We took our first family roadtrip in the van (no more flying for us for a while) to Utah. We left midday, expecting the kids to fall asleep around their seven o'clock bedtime, but this is a picture taken about 9 pm (notice it's pitch black outside). Both kids were bright eyed as they stared mindlessly at "The Never Ending Story" for the second or third time since we left. We opted to turn the dvd player off at this point and both boys quickly fell asleep. The trip wasn't pretty, but also wasn't nearly as bad as we anticipated (until the way back that is. . .which you'll hear all about in a future post). And if you are wondering, yes, I love my minivan! I'm way beyond "cool" at this point in my life . .I think of myself as more of a spectacle anytime I go out in puclic as people can't stop staring at the apparent fourteen year old toting 3 kids (with at least one generally making a scene in some manner). I'm all for anything that will make my life easier in the littlest way and no doubt the minivan does that well.

4 comments:

Kirstin said...

Bri, I'm so glad I read your blog today. Thanks for the laugh...oh, man, it's all too true.

Oh, and I like your miniv...I can't believe I just said that, but they are looking better and better!

Bacchus Family said...

Don't be ashamed of your van. I made the mini-van a cool thing when I drove one in college. Your van looks like a pretty sweet ride. Congrats!

ribbij said...

boetlaar I'm not letting you off the hook for this - probably ever. I never thought you'd sink this low...

although on the plus side you won't have to worry about ever having your car broken into again.

eghanny23 said...

I'm totally jealous of the fact that at the ripe old age of 25...YOU BEAT ME in getting the "Mom Mobile" Sike (when's the last time you said that?)! I hope I get to see you all soon so I can ride shotgun. Can't remember the last time I was in a minivan, probably HS B-ball in your mom's van eating Taco Bell, remember?