Sunday, May 16, 2010

Running Running Running

So, I started the year off running . .literally.  Decided to train for a half marathon (the Kentucky Derby mini marathon) and do the Louisville Triple Crown Races as part of it  (5k, 10k and 10 mile) races.  Although I certainly love working out, I've never really been too much of a runner . . .and while I did get quite bored with it over the past months . .. I find myself still wanting to do it a few times a week as it became sort of habit.  Anyway, training works, assuming you are actually doing it and I was . .I still remember the morning I was running with temps in the single digits and I thought I was tough/stupid/freezing until I saw some old woman sitting on her front porch wearing a robe in the same weather and realized she was much tougher, colder and maybe even dumber than me.  I started off with a certain goal time in January and found myself constantly adjusting my goal as I found my speed improving.  I was planning on running with my cousin's husband, Nick, but injury left him on the sidelines come race day and me running solo . . .really could have used him with my pacing and to push me in the end as my inexperience led me to going way too fast over the first 5 miles (including all the hills) and feeling burned out and crappy the rest of the race.  Nonetheless, I clocked in right where I wanted to be at 1:38:18 . .just wish I would have felt better doing it.  Now, I'm left with trying to figure out how to  make my overly muscled legs return to something a little more normal looking.  My cousin Lachelle came up and ran this and the 10 miler with me too . . .I'm hoping she'll see this and provide me with some better pictures since Dave was on Daddy duty that day taking the boys to soccer.  It was a cool race though . .sold out (over 15,000 participants) although I think the rain scared some away so there weren't as many finishers.  Part of the course included running on the inside of Churchill Downs.  We went and visited afterwards to watch a few races  . . . . I took pictures of Lachelle with her family and she took pictures of me alone. .  . .Actually not a horrible feeling when it's so rare, although I can't wait to take the kids back to the track.

9 comments:

Daisha said...

Um yeah. You're amazing. After we saw you in DC I told Cole, "I can't believe I'm saying this becasue Bri is always fit and tiny, but she is in the best shape I've ever seen." I want arms and legs like yours!! I guess I better get running more but am sure I'll never look that good. It was so fun to see you guys!!

Robin said...

You look amazing! I could never do something like that! Thanks for the ego boost about my haircut.

Justin said...

Yes, I have to agree... You look amazing!!!I agree, i think I am going to start running a little more. Wow! good for you having those ripped arms and legs!
Emily

Kali said...

WHo wants normal when you can have amazing... don't lose the muscle!!

tracie said...

How come I didn't get those muscles when I was running??? Oh, probably because I was a good 45 minutes behind you. Way to go, Bri!!!!!

Mommyof4 said...

Glad there are nice thin genes running through the Butlers. Wish I could have gotten some of those!

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations on the race. It is my dream to complete one of those. You look like you were doing it easily.
Thanks for sharing.

Erin said...

So you're saying you're a hooked runner :) Good work with all your races!

marissa said...

Way to go Bri! You're amazing. I really wish I enjoyed exercising :)